Saturday, January 22, 2011

J E A N - G E O R G E S


Jean-Georges, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

It's not fair that I wrote about Daniel before I wrote about Jean-Georges. I mean, it is only my most favorite place to go to for lunch when I'm in New York City. I think, it's mostly because I'm being selfish. I don't want Jean-George to turn into one of those restaurants that everyone goes to. When a place becomes like that, quality suffers in while the restaurant tries to accommodate the masses. Not that Jean-Georges Vongerichten will ever let that happen. At least, I hope he won't.

Jean-Georges offers an option of two dishes from his lunch menu at a pre-fixe price. Most of the dishes are the smaller versions of what they offer for dinner. This in itself makes it an awesome deal, but what makes Jean-Georges' lunch really good is the fact that you're still getting a three Michelin star experience at the price of what those belt-pouch wearing tourists get for lunch at TGI Friday's.


Jean-Georges, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

I almost always get the Coach Farms Goat Cheese Gnocchi with caramelized baby artichokes in a lemon and olive oil emulsion. It's rich and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack two hours after I eat it, but, trust me, it's delicious.


The Foie Gras Brulee is addictive, but you can never have more than what they serve you. Especially if you're having the goat cheese gnocchi in the same meal. You'll really be in trouble then.


If you must have some real carbs, then the parmesan risotto is definitely a must. The citrus flavor will help cut through all the fat in the other dishes. It's not heavy at all, and tastes refreshing.


There are two things I never order when I eat out: salmon and chicken. I think I've only ordered chicken from Pio Pio - a friend served it for lunch and it was delicious. So, whenever I go to the restaurant, it's what I order and I douse it with that spicy Peruvian sauce. Anyway, we ordered the parmesan-crusted leg of chicken. I thought it was going to be boring, but the cheese crust and the lemony butter sauce put it to another level. The first time I ordered it wasn't the last time I had it.


The snapper with nuts and seeds crust is another favorite. It's perfect - from the crust, to the fish, to the pearl onion and cherry tomatoes, to the light-in-texture-yet-rich-in-taste broth they pour around it. It's so delicious my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.

They usually have four dessert combinations on the lunch menu. They are all good, but not as impressive as the main items on the menu. Most of the time, I usually just get my coffee and enjoy the house marshmallow, the macarons and the petit fours they serve in the end.



Jean-Georges - Petit fours, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment