Friday, January 14, 2011

It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.

This morning, I attended a beautiful funeral service for my friend's father. He grew up in Germany, moved here when he was very young, but maintained proud of his German roots. They sang hymns in his native tongue, gave him his final blessing in the same language, too.

Instead of the traditional eulogy, the family requested for people in the congregation to share a memory they had with Mr. H. For a minute there, I thought no one would step up. But when, finally, the silence was broken, person after person got up and shared fond memories they had with him. Some were teary, some were laughing. All of them missing him.

The cynical part of me wondered if they only had nice things to say, now, because he's gone.

The romantic part of me wondered if I'd be as loved when it's my time to go.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'll have a party in my honour rather than a funeral service when I pass on. We'll see.

    I love your blog, btw. It inspires me to update mine

    xx

    ReplyDelete