Wednesday, January 12, 2011

D A N I E L

D A N I E L, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

I've been called a food snob many times. If by this they mean I only eat really good, quality food, then I'll embrace the title willingly. I'm a big fan of fine dining, but I also enjoy street food. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get through and make a reservation at some of the best restaurants in New York. Equally, I have lined up in heavy rain/scorching sun/freezing weather for street food. So, I don't discriminate when it comes to venue, or price, or crowd, so long as the food is worth all the effort. Before the end of the year, I joined my friend for dinner at Daniel to bid 2010 goodbye, and welcome 2011 with a toast. We enjoyed a bottle of vintage rosé and settled with the six-course tasting menu. (I wasn't able to take pictures of all the dishes because, well, I just forgot.)




We both started with the Lola Duck served with Juniper Gelée, Fig-Red Cabbage Chutney Mustard Salad. The Hudson Valley Duck Farm defines Lola duck as "a cross between a Pekin and a male heirloom mallard. The result is a larger bird with tender, juicy meat and a rich flavor profile". The way Daniel presented this was interesting. It not only enhanced the flavor of the duck, but it reminded you of how revolutionary the breed is. I'd go back and have this dish again.



For our second course, my friend had the Trio of Spanish Mackerel (not pictured), while I enjoyed the Peekytoe crab salad served with Hawaiian hearts of palm, tarragon oil and young fennel.



For our third course, she went with the Fennel-Basil Raviolini in Littleneck clam emulsion served with broccoli rabe and chorizo. I chose the sea scallops served with tellicherry pepper-lemon gremolata, coco beans, bok choy salad. We wished they served us more of both dishes.


Grilled Yellowfin Tuna, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

I almost never order tuna except when it's served raw, and that night was no exception. So, for our fourth course, my friend ordered the Grilled Yellowfin Tuna and, I was told, that it was very good. They served it with the red wine peppered shallots, parsnip, roasted salsify marchand de vin butter. I went for the Slow Baked Dover Sole with Satur Farms spinach, pommes "Saint Florentin" parsley tempura, and vadouvan jus. I'm sure it was better than the tuna.


Elysian Fields Farm Lamb Loin, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

For our fifth course, I went for the Duo of Beef (not pictured) - black angus short ribs with stewed lentils, and salsify Wagyu tenderloin with red wine glazed pearl onions, carrot confit, and bordelaise sauce. My friend had the Elysian Fields Farm lamb loin served with shoulder Barbajuan, turnip confit, chickpea hummus, Meyer lemon crust, harissa piquillo coulis. Both dishes were excellent with the exception of the size: we both wanted more.


Spice Poached Bosc Pear, originally uploaded by gealouxy.

And, finally, when it came to dessert, Daniel definitely did not disappoint. The Spice Poached Bosc Pear with gingerbread biscuit, red wine gelée and ginger ice cream was so good, I considered asking them if I can get five to go. My friend, who has a serious aversion to cinnamon, went for cinnamon-free Warm Guanaja Chocolate Coulant served with liquid caramel, fleur de sel, and milk sorbet.
Mignardises and Bûche de Noël, originally uploaded by gealouxy.


My friend is French, so when we were presented with the Bûche de Noël along with the mignardises (they made us two separate plates, one for me with every selection they had available that night, and one for her for all the selections they had that didn't have cinnamon in it), she got a bit nostalgic about home. Apparently, the bûche is a holiday tradition and, I'm sure, with the delicious French food, fine wine, and French-speaking staff, Daniel felt a bit like home to her that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment